- Poinsettia is number one house plant around the Christmas season
- It is a must have plant for all plant lovers
Poinsettia is the most preferable plant in December and January as it enhances the beauty of the decor on Christmas eve. It is known for its colourful foliage and is used in Christmas floral display
- The poinsettia is a beautiful plant species of the diverse spurge family, and is indigenous to Mexico
- The plant should be kept in a well-lit spot, with bright indirect light (not direct sunlight)
- It should be watered thoroughly (till water seeps from bottom hole), and re-watered when top soil is dry
- When the plant is blooming, it should not be fertilized. But once the blooming season is over, it can be fertilized every 1 month
Why are Poinsettias so popular around Christmas?
The shape of the flower and leaves of poinsettia are recognized as a symbol of the Star of Bethlehem which led the wise men to Jesus. The red colour in the poinsettia symbolises the blood of Christ and the white leaves as the sign of his purity.
According to a Mexican legend- A girl could only offer weed as a gift to Jesus. When she brought the weed into the church, they blossomed into a beautiful red flower, which is the poinsettia.